Saturday, August 25, 2007

From Connecticut

I am in Connecticut, always interested in people's stories about marriage. Last night I met 2 sisters, in their early twenties. C, 26. got married in November and is pregnant expecting their first child around Christmas. Her sister K is engaged to her high school sweetheart at 24, reading through the bridal tips and wedding planning guides, especially on ways to save money on the wedding. Their confidence in their ability to find the right mate, and be better at relationship than their parents (divorced) seems common among the twenty somethings. As is the positive view of marriage, commitment, family.

At twenty, and even thirty getting married to me felt like all my life options would close up, rather than opening up. Yet there is a grounding component to having children, as your priorities and focus become very clear and focused, like what is good for your children, their life, their needs, schooling etc. .

Anyway, my Connecticut host is getting ready to take us on a tour of this area, so I'll sign off.

No comments: